Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Princess, The Mad Scientist and The Tank

My children.

Some days I look at the three of them and think, "Therapy is going to be really expensive." I second guess and question myself everyday.

My lovely daughter is going through the beginning stages of puberty and has her poor Daddy bewildered. Having been the youngest of four children, and one of three boys, his sister was in college before he realized there was a difference between boys and girls!
She has a sharp mind and she wants so badly to be involved with "grown up" topics, but she is still a little girl clinging onto her innocence. I want her to keep clinging for as long as possible. She isn't ready to give up her baby dolls and princess fantasies some days and that is okay with this Momma. In some ways she is so mature and others, so naive that she is having a hard time finding her way through life right now. My oldest son has been diagnosed with a learning disability. It is hard, as his Mom, to not have major guilt over this. I was, and still am, his earliest teacher and maybe I screwed up somewhere along the line. The school is hesitant to label him, but from my research and what I know of my Mad Scientist, I think he is dyslexic. It is frustrating as someone who reads for pleasure to know that my son may never pick up a book just for the fun of it. He is so smart and comes up with some amazing theories and topics about science and history. We need a way to bring is skills up to par with his knowledge. My youngest is my Ferdinand the Bull. At just 8 years old, he is already 54 inches tall and weighs around 95 pounds. His is a solid brick of a boy - rough and tumble and plays hard. BUT he is also super sensitive and when he is redirected, he loses it. It is hard at times to remember that he is only 8 and because of his size, I catch myself expecting more of him. He is a sweetheart and loves to help in the kitchen. HE has all the ladies at church wrapped around his little finger! There is never a quiet or a dull moment in our house.

No comments: