Monday, March 3, 2008

Groceries!

I am always looking at new ways I can cut our grocery budget. My goal is to spend $75 to $100 per week feeding my family of five, plus our dog. With the prices going up daily (it seems), it is getting harder and harder to do!

This is where I need to get creative and really watch where my pennies go!

Some tips I share here may seem like common sense to you, but they may be new ideas to someone else!

*Inventory your cupboards and refrigerator - I set aside about 15 minutes a week (usually Wednesday) where I go through my pantry, fridges and freezers to take stock of what I have, and I make a list of what is low and what I am out of.

*Plan a menu - nothing can eat up your food budget more than waiting until 5:00 to decide what you are having! Make a plan for a week to 10 days at a time. Just do dinners to start with. Be sure to try and use items that you already have in your "food inventory".

*Make a grocery list - your list should include all of the items you need to make the dinners on your list plus the essentials for breakfast and lunch. Stick to this list as closely as possible!

*Stick to your menu plan! Your meals can be flexible, but try to stick to what you had planned. This will keep you from running to the store to get "just one more thing".

More in another post! There are so many dimensions to this subject! I am still learning and will try to share as much as possible!

1 comment:

Candi said...

Great tips, Jenn. I use them all, mostly. We were bad about buying whatever we want at the grocery store and have been working hard to stop that. It's amazing how a few extra things picked out by everyone can add up!!

I tagged you for a meme if you want to play. :-)