Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mid Year Ramblings

2010 has not been the year I had hoped it would be.
In January, I turned 33 and did not have a light bulb moment. I had hoped that by this age, my path would be clearer or at least more defined. As it turns out, the twists and turns on this journey are still as confusing as they ever were.
In March, my oldest turned 9. NINE!!! When did that happen and why? She has grown into such an interesting person that sometimes I wonder where she came from and how she became MY daughter.
In March, I also lost my Grandmother. She suffered from COPD as well as some other health issues. She declined pretty rapidly in the last few years, but you are never prepared to hear the news that a loved one is gone.
In June, my husband lost his Grandmother. As a family, we lived with her (and my in-laws) for three years before she moved back to Chicago to live with her other daughter. I feel so blessed to have spent that time with her. It wasn't always fun, but I am glad that she got to know me and my children.
So far this year, in addition to the losses, we have had financial trouble (hasn't everyone?), plumbing issues, appliances break, car trouble, you name it! It seems like as soon as one crisis passes, another one erupts taking its place.
Unfortunately, my story isn't unique. We all have issues in life that we must deal with. To often, the people around me think I am a dumping ground and use me to vent their frustrations with life. Yes, your life is horrible. Oh, that is terrible. All the platitudes they want to hear to be justified in winning "My Life Sucks Worse Than Yours" title.
Guess what, I am taking myself out of the running for that title. I don't want it. Yes, I have challenges. Yes, I am extremely busy. Yes, I have three children and a husband and a house to run. Yes, I volunteer crazy hours. Yes, money is tight. Yes, my family all lives 2,000+ miles away and I have little support from the ones who live 20 miles away. So what? I deal and life goes on.
"When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure" - Peter Marshall

No comments: